Tuesday, November 29, 2005

jens lekman has something on his mind

Jens Lekman - Black Cab
Left Banke - I've Got Something On My Mind

so jens recently put out a record that got some good press. i missed his show at spaceland, but while i like some of his material, it seems to be pretty hit and miss miss miss. the good stuff is very good, but the rest is marginal to just poor.

i was giving the new record a quick spin, not really caring much for it, when i hit this track "black cab" - track 5 - which is a great little tune about being a little adrift and just ... being lost. really nice, simple tune, good lyric. i can't really get over the sourcing on that harpsichord intro that tracks through the whole song - it's straight from the left banke's "something on my mind".

oh no goddamn
i missed the last tram
i killed the party again
goddman, goddamn

i wanna sleep in my bed
i wanna clean out my head
don't wanna look this dead
don't wanna feel this dread

i killed the party again
ruined for my friends
"oh your so siilent, jens"
oh maybe i am
maybe i am

now at the central station
no time for being patient
i feel like going home
but at the same time i don't